Tuesday 1 October 2013

When Marston Hill was too hot to open

We now have some feedback on the Great Marston Hill Shut Down. I have to say, I'm indebted to Lee Baldry, deputy head of highways contract service delivery at Bedfordfshire Highways. He gives an informative and sympathetic response to the issues I have raised. He writes as follows:


Hi Cllr. Spurr, Cllr. Clark and Cllr. Pollock

I'm a little concerned not to have been circulated this message before - has something gone wrong in our comms somewhere? I was aware of one complaint at the time concerning gatemen and the works period itself - which was addressed at the time of the works (July). However, post-completion, may I presume that the issue becomes one of explanation/reassurance?

If so, I will try to comment as helpfully as I can. I have copied Cllr. Pollock's observations in bold, with my comment following each.

1. In early July Amey closed Marston Hill for a day for resurfacing. There was not, as far as I was aware, a TTRO and they only put up signs saying "closed for one day over the next two weeks".
I do know a TTRO was published, but I will have to check the precise date (sorry I don't have it immediately to hand).

The sign onsite was an advance warning, which was attempting to provide the courtesy of an early warning of the impending works. Since these works, we have reviewed matters and found that in fact a sign of this type isn't as helpful to folk as much as we hoped. In essence, it is better to offer a reliable date - albeit perhaps at shorter overall notice - than it is to offer a longer notice, but less surety about the precise date.

Therefore, current advance notices should benefit from this point of learning. Essentially the message should be "closed xx/xx/xx" and erected around a week in advance.

I hope this accords with your views and shows the lessons learnt from instances such as this.

2. I assured callers that these closures were normally 9.30 to 3.30 to assist schools and the Cranfield "rush hour". Road remained closed  until after 6.30 pm 
This was a problematic shift, owing to the very high ambient temperatures that day (11th July). Essentially the road closure noted the high ambient temperatures, but perhaps not as high as those found in the road pavement that day (heat storage, basically). This meant that the new surface materials did not cool as quickly as foreseen, and accordingly that the road could not safely be re-opened as planned until sufficiently cooled.

3. There were no diversion signs put up
I'm disappointed to hear this, as it is contradictory to other messages we've had. I think a more in-depth check might be needed and I have copied in the relevant colleague.

4. We have had a number of complaints about Amey in recent years but this is one of their more cavalier acts.
Please let me know what these are so that I can investigate them from a Contractual perspective.

5. We need to find out if CBC finds their action unprofessional and unacceptable, why they did not follow correct practice and what assurances can we have that they will not behave in this way again.
The Council investigates complaints, and if shortfalls are identified robust corrections are put in place. I don't have evidence that the work was conducted unlawfully, but I do accept that the work on this occasion overran its allotted period and I have explained the circumstances surrounding this. I think this is an isolated case, but equally the risk is valid to address.

The complaint regarding gatemen was resolved and essentially the decision to begin the work (despite the risk of overrunning due to latent heat in the road pavement) was made for quite supportable reasons; since the resurfacing project was necessary. However, I do apologise for the overrun and any disruption it may have caused.

6. Incidentally there is no sign of Amey coming back to put on the road markings.
We investigate opportunities to minimise lining on new surfacing mats, as this can have a demonstrable link to reducing vehicle speeds. However, if this was the intention then perhaps Amey colleagues should have let you know this in advance, so that you were not chasing something which wasn't intended.

By copy to colleagues I will check what the next steps are.

I hope this offers a useful reaction in time for your Parish meeting.

No comments: