Friday 3 August 2012

A certain excitement


Another parishioner writes (on Wed) about the bus confusion. I like the old style touch about the 'Regal' (Ritz I think) - cinema built for the RAF base in the 30s which survived, I think, to the 60s and 70s on the site of the pharmacy. I think Marston Hill is the current belt and braces solution until the bus companies look at Amey's road closure diagram.  




I was advised by my friend that the Number 52 Bedford bus was bypassing Mill Road and going straight down Bedford Road today. He had been waiting in Mill Road near the Co-op (outside “the Regal”) and saw his bus go straight from the High Street into Bedford Road! An hour later I duly waited in Bedford Road at the abandoned bus shelter and then saw the 52 come out from Crane Way and disappear down the hill!

Whilst this adds a certain excitement to our daily lives it also causes considerable inconvenience.

There were no notices on the bus stops. A passer-by said that she had been on the bus yesterday and the driver had told her that all Cranfield  buses were using the Bedford Road route for the summer to avoid complications. She had also phoned the bus station who knew nothing about diversions.

My next plan is to wait in the High Street by the Cross Keys, or on Marston Hill to ensure it can’t avoid passengers wishing to use the service.

No comments: