Saturday 14 April 2012

Village posties

They're a landmark in village life and like the picture they are out in all weathers reaching every home. I love e mail and social networking but I also send postcards and notelets to old friends (and deserving family members LOL). But a parishioner informs me that this could change because post bikes are being phased out.  In some cases - Cranfield perhaps, we will get the 4-wheel carts that are already around. But elsewhere there may be more van delivery. 

The parishioner writes:

My postman tells me that they have been told that the delivery of mail by bicycle is to end in the future. Whether this is just certain locations or if it is across the board, I don't know. He says that the plan is apparently to form the posties into teams of two - one driving the van, the other nipping on & off with the mail.

If thats the case, how Green is that then ? I think it is a retrograde step out of keeping with village lifestyle, possibly leading to a less personalised service than we have now.

Also I drive or should it be pedal a Pashley bike. Pashleys of Stratford-on-Avon are one of the last British makers of handbuilt bikes. I believe that they are heavily dependent upon the Royal Mail contract to keep them afloat. If this switch to motorised delivery is more widespread, then they could end up in trouble I suppose.



To comment either post a comment on the blog or email broadgreen68@btinternet.com I sometimes anonymise and post responses to blog postings

No comments: