Sunday 6 November 2011

Cash for access

This is a copy of my letter to Baroness Warsi, co-chair of the Conservative Party regarding the Event involving Michael Gove at Woburn Safari Park on 18 November.


I am writing in connection with a public event organised by Mid Beds Conservative Association on 18 November at Woburn Safari Park.


It is also the Association's annual dinner and fundraiser  with Michael Gove in his role as secretary of state for education, which I heard about via an email to our Parish Council clerk (see below). 

This is the first time I have encountered the local Conservative Association using civic communication channels to invite members of the public to a party function.  This is highly inappropriate, similar to an MP using their House of Commons postage for party matters. 

If Mr Gove has time to come to Bedfordshire to meet the public and answers questions I don't think the local Conservative Association should be charging the public for the right to hear him. Cash for access to ministers is an unfortunate trend in national politics. I speak as a Labour Party member and I have noted the same trends with the last government. I object to it wherever it occurs and when it turns up in Bedfordshire and in my parish council emails I  am obliged to challenge it.

I would welcome a response from you that recognises that MBCA's marketing of the event and Mr Gove is  wrong, it will not happen again and a assurance that this is not happening elsewhere. 

Our Parish Council voted to complain  to MBCA regarding this email. I have also been quoted in the local media voicing my own objections. 

It is vital that governments, of whatever political colour, make it clear that  ministers are not available on payment of a fee.


Yours sincerely


PCllr Laurence Pollock
8 Broad Green
Cranfield
Bedford MK43 0JQ



No comments: