Tuesday 8 March 2011

Child cemeteries

From an on line reader of Cranfield Express:

I have just been reading the March edition of Cranfield Express online
concerning child areas in cemeteries.

I lived in Cranfield up until I was 18, when I joined the Army.  I am now
almost 75, retired and live in Basingstoke.   I have been in that cemetery
on quite a few occasions when I visit my sister who still lives in the
village;  indeed one of my aunts is buried there also.

I have seen a number of child areas in cemeteries and find them 'full of
life' with jingles etc. and other items such as toys, photos and lights.  I
cannot see anything wrong in this provided they are all together in one area
- and that is how most of the bereaved parents and relatives would like it
to be.

I visit the cemetery in Southampton quite regularly when I take my wife to
the hospital and they have a lovely area set aside especially for the young
who die.  It is full of life and parents love the thought of being able to
sit and 'play' with their children with the toys around them.

Death of a child is particularly harrowing;  so make it more comfortable for
those who visit the small graves.

No comments: